Follow by Email: add your email and click "submit." Your email remains confidential.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Significant Changes to the Proposed Bylaws

The Bylaws are quite long. In order to highlight the major changes in the bylaws, the Planning Selection has created a cheat sheet:

Major Changes document available at the Town Clerk's Office or at Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/MajorChangesBylaws2016
Bylaws available at the Town Clerk's Office or at Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/Draft.Bylaws.CLEAN.11.29.16






INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOWNLOADING DOCUMENTS FROM ARCHIVE.ORG:
Follow the provided link.

There is a "Download Options" box on the right hand side of the page. Within that box, there is a "PDF" or "DOC" link. Click on the link to download the file.
 

If you have any questions, please email Melissa at: peachamkohl@gmail.com

Reminder: Bylaws Hearing 6/30/16

Town of Peacham
Notice of Public Hearing
Notice is hereby given to the residents of the Town of Peacham that the Peacham Planning Commission will hold a public hearing in the Peacham Town Clerk’s Office on Thursday, June 30th, at 7:00. This hearing will be held for public review and comment on the proposed revisions to Peacham’s Zoning Bylaw pursuant to Title 24 VSA, Chapter 117, the statute that regulates planning and zoning. If and when it is adopted, the proposed revised Zoning Bylaw will affect all lands within the Town of Peacham.
The proposed bylaw revisions support theTown Plan’s stated needs: “To provide for higher density and more affordable housing opportunities through higher densities in village zones, the need to encourage creative design and mixed use plans in the village district (particularly Peacham Corner)…” and “to encourage a more simplified or ‘user-friendly’ zoning and planning process.” The proposed revision proposes changes to the zoning districts include additional lands to the Village District. No new districts were created.
Other technical changes to the bylaw involve clarification on state jurisdictions, such as the Shoreland Development Act, which took effect in 2014, as well as changes to land use definitions and other provisions in order to eliminate conflict with FEMA requirements in the flood hazard regulations. Other changes include provisions to home occupations and signage, as well as the review process for boundary line adjustments.


Article 1: Enactment, Purpose
Article 2: Zoning Districts and Zoning Map
Article 3: Zoning Districts
Article 4: General Provisions
Article 5: Flood Hazard Regulation
Article 6: Non-Conforming Uses and Structures
Article 7: Conditional Use
Article 8: Planned Residential Development
Article 9: Administration and Enforcement
Article 10: Amendments, Interpretation, Effective Date
Article 11: Definitions


Copies of the proposed bylaw may be viewed at the Peacham Town Clerk’s Office, as well as online at http://www.nvda.net/towns.php?town=9.  Dated in Peacham, Vermont, June 13, 2016.

 

The Peacham Planning Commission

Monday, June 20, 2016

Selectboard Meeting 6/15/16 Unapproved Minutes


TOWN OF PEACHAM
SELECTBOARD MEETING MINUTES
Town Hall Meeting Room
Wednesday June 15, 2016 6:30PM

Present:
Selectboard: Annette Lorraine and Tim Scott
Clerk to the Selectboard: Melissa Laurita Kohl
Public: Mike Bruton, Cheryl Stevenson, Town Clerk Tom Galinat, Road Foreman Jeremy Withers, Ron Craig, Aubrey Cabot-Case, Dick Hovey, Dale Roy

The meeting was called to order by Board Chair Annette Lorraine at 6:29 PM.

  1. Additions
    1. Roller Barn Update

  1. Approval of 6/1/16 Minutes
    1. Could not be approved because David Jacobs is not at this meeting and Tim Scott was not at last. Will be approved at the 7/20 meeting.

  1. Village Pathway Decision
    1. The decision needs to be delayed due to a professional conflict of interest on Tim’s part. David and Annette will need to come to a consensus or the path will remain as it is for the time being.

  1. Roller Barn
    1. David and Tim met with Ray Young last week and work should be complete now. Tim will check after today’s meeting.

  1. Margaret Maclean Re: Local Study Committee to study the options for Peacham in light of Act 46 Committee
    1. At Town Meeting Day the school board requested volunteers for a local study committee. It is comprised of 2 board members and 7 community volunteers. They have a website with a lot of information, minutes, etc. The url is: www.peachamact46.org.
    2. The school board identified 4 options for Peacham based on the law. The board is taking the lead on two items and the study committee. Options below.
    3. K-6 District - looking at a potential Greensboro/Stannard merger. Peacham would receive tax incentives and keep the school’s rural grant. Peacham would have equal say in any decision making and neither town would be interested in closing the other school as they are 25 miles apart and are all small schools.
    4. K-8 District option requires Peacham to give up school choice in 7 and 8 grade. Peacham would only have 13% representation on the board and the other communities would have larger representation as representation is based on the size of the schoo. The concerns with this option are giving up choice and not having a lot of weight with decision making.
    5. Staying the way we are is possible but Peacham would lose its small schools grant and any incentives. This would probably be most expensive option of the four and the State board of education may not approve it. If they didn’t approve it they could put Peacham in a merged district. However, if they do that they cannot put us in K-8 because choice is protected so Peacham could only be put into a K-6 district. The only other schools that are k-6 that they could merge us with are Greensboro/Stannard, Woodbury and Wolcott.
    6. The last option is closing the school and tuitioning all students. The board doesn’t think that the community wants that option but they are looking into it so the community can see all of the options.
    7. The committee is getting financial projections on all of four options. Right now, the committee has some financial info but so much could change so it is all potential financial outcomes.
    8. Taxes don’t go down with any of the choices. Vermont has a statewide budget so even if we are fiscally really tight, other communities could spend more and taxes would still go up.
    9. Now that Peacham is talking to Greensboro and Stannard, it could take 4 or 5 months to have all of the information about the choices.
    10. The committee conducted a survey and are still compiling results but of the 120 online surveys submittes - 45% people feel ⅞ choice is very important, 26% think it’s important; 58% feel voice is very important, 32% feel important. The survey was completed by a well rounded demographic range (parents, non parents, kids in school, formerly in school, or future school age kids)

  1. Cemetery
    1. Cheryl presented the immediate and long term goals of the cemetery. This included a new trimmer (Mike or Ron will look into it); getting town water on site for watering plants and cleaning equipment (Cheryl will contact Jonathan or Larry about water); replace the flag pole; getting stones cleaned (Cheryl will get quotes for completing all of the stones); recoating the road that goes through the cemetery and dealing with a road washing out issue (Jeremy will look at the issues to give the Cemetery Preservation Commission and the Selectboard his opinion on the issues); and tree maintenance.
    2. The Cemetery Preservation Committee will come up with the budget and once they talk to the town water/fire district tell the Selectboard which water option they would prefer.
    3. At the next Cemetery Preservation Committee meeting, they will look at their bylaws and see if they need to be updated. Cheryl has job descriptions for cemetery roles. She read them out loud to Selectboard. The Selectboard, the Town Clerk, and the sextons discussed how everything can work based on recommendation from the professional auditors.
    4. The Selectboard, Town Clerk, and Cemetery Preservation Committee discussed the official purchasing policy.
    5. VT Cemetery Meeting was in Peacham today and that was fun. Had a talk and a ghost walk in the cemetery and the PTF put on the lunch.

  1. Town Clerk Update
    1. Sheriff’s office said that we used to receive more fine money and that the reason for the change was due to changes in our contract with them (a reduction of service). Fees received:
      1. 2016-$0
      2. 2015- $77.50
      3. 2014- $593.50
      4. 2013- $823.30
      5. 2012 - $1088.50
    2. The sheriff’s office said that if Peacham wants them to be more strict with tickets they can do that.
    3. Annette said that she does not think the revenue is that important but she thinks that safety is. The Selectboard will ask the Sheriff to be more strict as the public at the last meeting was pretty adamant that ticketing was necessary to reduce speeding.
    4. The vault is completely reorganized.

  1. Highway Department Update
    1. Pulling ditches on Mack Mountain Road - cleaning ditches and culverts and grading. Things are really productive right now.
    2. Annette signed the paving grant to return to the State
    3. Bids for paving job
      1. Jeremy and the Selectboard reviewed 4 bids. They selected Mathews Excavating.
    4. Annette is trying to track down a radar speed gun. It would be cheaper for the town to do the speed study ourselves when it comes to changing the speed limit.
    5. Jeremy did look into speed bumps to slow traffic and he discussed it with Shauna from VTRANS. Her opinion was to get the sheriff out and fine people and get the reputation as a speed trap.

  1. Review and approve bills
    1. The Selectboard reviewed and approved bills.

  1. Review correspondence
    1. The Selectboard reviewed and approved correspondence.

Annette moves to adjourn at 8:35pm. Tim seconds. So moved.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Proposed Zoning Bylaws 2016

Minutes available at the Town Clerk's Office or at Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/Draft.Bylaws.CLEAN.11.29.16

INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOWNLOADING DOCUMENTS FROM ARCHIVE.ORG:
Follow the provided link.

There is a "Download Options" box on the right hand side of the page. Within that box, there is a "PDF" or "DOC" link. Click on the link to download the file.
 

If you have any questions, please email Melissa at: peachamkohl@gmail.com

Planning Commission Reporting Form for Municipal Bylaw Amendments


Planning Commission Reporting Form

for Municipal Bylaw Amendments

 

This report is in accordance with 24 V.S.A. §4441(c) which states:

 

“When considering an amendment to a bylaw, the planning commission shall prepare and approve a written report on the proposal. A single report may be prepared so as to satisfy the requirements of this subsection concerning bylaw amendments and subsection 4384(c) of this title concerning plan amendments.…. The report shall provide(:)

 

(A) brief explanation of the proposed bylaw, amendment, or repeal and ….include a statement of purpose as required for notice under §4444 of this title,

 

 

 

(A)nd shall include findings regarding how the proposal:

 

  1. Conforms with or furthers the goals and policies contained in the municipal plan, including the effect of the proposal on the availability of safe and affordable housing:

The proposed revision involves changes to the boundaries of the Village District, and some land has been added. Minimum lot size has been reduced to .5 acre. No new districts were created.

Other technical changes to the bylaw involve clarification on state jurisdictions, such as the Shoreland Development Act, which took effect in 2014, as well as changes to land use definitions and other provisions in order to eliminate conflict with FEMA requirements in the flood hazard regulations. Other changes include provisions to home occupations and signage, as well as the review process for boundary line adjustments.

 

  1. Is compatible with the proposed future land uses and densities of the municipal plan:

The proposed bylaw revisions support the Town Plan’s stated needs: “To provide for higher density and more affordable housing opportunities through higher densities in village zones, the need to encourage creative design and mixed use plans in the village district (particularly Peacham Corner)…” and “to encourage a more simplified or ‘user-friendly’ zoning and planning process.”

 

 

  1. Carries out, as applicable, any specific proposals for any planned community facilities.”

There is no plan for a community facility, nor do we anticipate that the proposed zoning change will create such a need. Lands to be developed in the Village District will still need to meet the requirements of the state regulations for onsite septic systems, and the town has no intention to build a municipal wastewater system.

 

 

Please Note:

 

  • The planning commission shall hold at least one public hearing within the municipality after public notice on any proposed bylaw, amendment or repeal and;
     
  • At least 15 days prior to the first hearing, a copy of the proposed plan or amendment and the written report shall be delivered with proof of the receipt, or mailed by certified mail, return receipt requested, to each of the following:
     

  1. the chairperson of the planning commission of each abutting municipality, or in the absence of any planning commission in an abutting municipality, to the clerk of that abutting municipality;
  2. the executive director of the regional planning commission of the area in which the municipality is located;
  3. the Department of Economic, Housing and Community Development within the Agency of Commerce and Community Development.
     

  • The planning commission may make revisions to the proposed bylaw, amendment, or repeal and to the written report, and shall then submit the proposed bylaw, amendment or repeal and the written report to the legislative body of the municipality.  If requested by the legislative body or supported by petition the planning commission shall promptly submit the amendment with changes only to correct technical deficiencies, together with any recommendations.
     
  • Simultaneously, with the submission, the planning commission shall file with the clerk of the municipality a copy of the proposed bylaw, amendment, or repeal, and the written report for public review.
     

Planning Commission Zoning Bylaw Hearing 6/30/16 Notice


Town of Peacham
Notice of Public Hearing
Notice is hereby given to the residents of the Town of Peacham that the Peacham Planning Commission will hold a public hearing in the Peacham Town Clerk’s Office on Thursday, June 30th, at 7:00. This hearing will be held for public review and comment on the proposed revisions to Peacham’s Zoning Bylaw pursuant to Title 24 VSA, Chapter 117, the statute that regulates planning and zoning. If and when it is adopted, the proposed revised Zoning Bylaw will affect all lands within the Town of Peacham.
The proposed bylaw revisions support theTown Plan’s stated needs: “To provide for higher density and more affordable housing opportunities through higher densities in village zones, the need to encourage creative design and mixed use plans in the village district (particularly Peacham Corner)…” and “to encourage a more simplified or ‘user-friendly’ zoning and planning process.” The proposed revision proposes changes to the zoning districts include additional lands to the Village District. No new districts were created.
Other technical changes to the bylaw involve clarification on state jurisdictions, such as the Shoreland Development Act, which took effect in 2014, as well as changes to land use definitions and other provisions in order to eliminate conflict with FEMA requirements in the flood hazard regulations. Other changes include provisions to home occupations and signage, as well as the review process for boundary line adjustments.


Article 1: Enactment, Purpose
Article 2: Zoning Districts and Zoning Map
Article 3: Zoning Districts
Article 4: General Provisions
Article 5: Flood Hazard Regulation
Article 6: Non-Conforming Uses and Structures
Article 7: Conditional Use
Article 8: Planned Residential Development
Article 9: Administration and Enforcement
Article 10: Amendments, Interpretation, Effective Date
Article 11: Definitions


Copies of the proposed bylaw may be viewed at the Peacham Town Clerk’s Office, as well as online at http://www.nvda.net/towns.php?town=9.  Dated in Peacham, Vermont, June 13, 2016.

 

The Peacham Planning Commission

Selectboard Meeting 6/15/16 Agenda

TOWN OF PEACHAM
SELECTBOARD
MEETING AGENDA
Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 6:30P.M.


1. Call to Order
2. Additions to Agenda
3. Review and Approve Minutes of 6/1/16
4. Village Pathway decision ­ no guarantee as David will not be in attendance
5. Cemetery Plan, Budget, and Purchasing Policy
6. Hazard Mitigation Plan Committee Suggestions
7. Margaret Maclean Re: Local Study Committee to study the options for Peacham in light
of Act 46 Committee
8. Town Clerk Update
9. Highway Department Update
a. Bids for Paving Job
10. Review and Approve Bills
11. Review Correspondence
12. Adjourn

Monday, June 6, 2016

Selectboard Meeting 6/1/16 Unapproved Minutes

TOWN OF PEACHAM
SELECTBOARD MEETING MINUTES
Town Hall Meeting Room
Wednesday June 1, 2016 6:30PM

Present:
Selectboard: Annette Lorraine and David Jacobs
Clerk to the Selectboard: Melissa Laurita Kohl
Public: Road Foreman Jeremy Withers, Mike Bruton, Steve Engles, Town Clerk Tom Galinat, Jock Gill, Sharon Jones, Becky Jones, Dale Roy, Marceya Roy

The meeting was called to order by Annette Lorraine at 6:32PM.

  1. Additions to Agenda
    1. Under Highway Department include an update on speed limit changes and speeding through Peacham

  1. Review and Approve Minutes of 5/18/16
    1. Annette moves to approve the minutes as amended. David seconds. So moved. All in favor.

  1. Village Pathway Final Decision
    1. The Selectboard discussed this issue with the public and discussed their positions. A vote could not be taken as Tim was not present.
    2. David would like to leave the path as grass but improve signage from Church St so that the public recognized it as a path. David said could have a historic marker indicating it was a historic path.
    3. Annette feels differently. She feels like the staymat is safer than wet grass especially for kids riding bikes, etc. Annette doesn’t think people will be aware of it enough if just grass, especially leaf peepers.
    4. The people who live along the path would like it to stay grass. Annette said that people have called her expressing the desire for staymat for safety issues. She said they are afraid to say so publicly as they do not want to anger or upset anyone. Annette believes that while there is a school, the town has an obligation to provide a safe route to school.
    5. Everyone agreed that winter maintenance was a problem.
    6. Steve and Jock thought the walkability of all of Peacham Pathways should be considered, not just this section.
    7. Annette said that she is open to that but the agenda for this year is full with projects that had been delayed for years.
    8. Melissa said that the Planning Commission could look at that issue when they work on the town plan, which should start at the end of summer/fall.
    9. Jock said that Judy had engineers come look at crosswalk, driveway, etc. to the school as part of the safe routes to school program.

  1. Margaret Maclean Re: Local Study Committee to study
    1. Margaret needed to change the meeting to the next meeting but wanted to let the public know about the survey. It is made available around town and particularly at the Town Office (the town clerks can assist with filling it out).

  1. Roller Barn Progress
    1. There is a ramp and back door to put on. David will talk to Nate about it as he knows more about how the project needs to proceed. Tim will work with Ray to make sure he finishes the job soon.

  1. Re-adopting Town Policies that are not signed
    1. When Annette saw the policies she didn’t feel comfortable second guessing previous Selectboards. The ones that were signed by Bruce Lafferty Town Clerk and Selectboard Clerk she is comfortable with. Annette will work with Tom on the ones that she is sure with  because she was involved and then see what’s left and what his comfort level it is. SB still needs to approve one or more audit/financial policies. Would be great to have a table of contents or index.

  1. Hazard mitigation plan committee suggestions
    1. The Selectboard plugged it to the public. Marty Cavanaugh, Barry Lawson, Emergency People, Neil, Berwick, Jeremy, and Don Jones Wright on the committee. Need more public input. Jock Gill agreed to join as well.

  1. Town Clerk Update
    1. Review and approve line of credit for 2016
      1. The interest rate is slightly higher.
      2. Annette moves to enter into this line of credit and sign the Tax Anticipation Notice. David seconds. So moved. All in favor. The Selectboard and the clerks signed the Tax Anticipation Note for 2016.
    2. Tom said that this is the slow time of year so can catch up on projects.

  1. Highway Department update
    1. Under Highway Department include an update on speed limit changes and speeding through Peacham
      1. Steve discussed issues around speeding. He think the speed sign is malfunctioning because frequently it doesn’t even come on until your past it. Seems to be finicky. Tom said that if you drive over 45 miles an hour it doesn’t pick you up. Annette asks if we can reset it. Jeremy said that it takes it longer to pick up where it is now - could be the sign is a little high. Picks big trucks up most quickly. Because of the nature of the hill, might have to tip the sign to pick you up quicker.
      2. Jeremy said the only way to stop speeding is to have the sheriff or state police every day. It’s a handy reminder for those who are law abiding.
      3. David recommended having temporary speed bumps. Remove for the winter so can be plowed road easily. He said sometimes people padd 75 miler per hour past his house in east peacham. Sharon said that in south peacham they come down  to the stop sign and barely slow down and take the corner on two wheels heading down to west barnet. Coming down the hill from the village people really speed.
      4. Annette said that the sheriff cannot be everywhere at once. Encouraged him to come when school was in session and they did. Last week his brother was almost run over by a man in front of his house. He called 911 and two different state troopers appeared shortly. This weekedn on sunday a coiunty sheriff pulled over a lady right in front of the house - there is some enforcement.
      5. Jeremy will check with Shauna about rumble strips/speed bumps.
      6. Steve said is there a possibility of buying more speed sign.
        1. David said yet that we could budget it for next year.
      7. Sharon said what’s wrong with Peacham being known as a speed trap place. David said that Danville a few years ago did that and gave out lots of tickets and it made a difference. The Selectboard will focus on ticketing issues when renewing contract. Haven’t received any income from ticketing for 3 years now.
      8. Steve asked about hiring constable from Groton to spend time here. His car looks officious. The constable doesn’t have the jurisdiction to enforce our ordinances.
      9. Annette said that they will address this in next years budget
    2. Jeremy said that bids were due in today and there is not one in there. Jeremy said that he mailed them out two fridays ago and had one person contact with interest so know mail went out. Jeremy knows some are busy.
    3. Annette said we will extend bidding process until 6/15. She said you could call the ones who seemed most interested to let them know.
    4. Jeremy contacted Donna Hutchins who is a resident on that road. He siad that it sounds like a lot of people do not want to reclassify it - he said that it’s the only way you can get farm equipment across. Annette said we will wait to the hearing. Sharon said that bridge is used a lot by snowmobilers.
      1. Jock said he was down there the other day and there was a big truck down there.
      2. Annette is sure we will get a lot of testimony on July 6th.
    5. We have a culvert to replace on east peacham rd on the gravel section it plugged this spring and we unplugged it but its going to need to be changed. It needs to be hired out as needs a large excavator. Can he hire a contractor or should we put it out to bid. Should be a one day project. Think it will be well under the 15,000 limit (under that amount jobs do not need to be put out to bid). The road is going to have to be closed. He will post it. Jeremy will let Melissa know so she can post online.
    6. Annette said that we had a request to change the speed limit on the road. It looks like we have to have a traffic engineering study and you can have anybody do it as long as they have a radar and the form in the packet and document at least 100 cars. Can you ask Shauna, Jeremy, if you have any ideas of how that gets done.
    7. Jock said that while you are adjusting speed limits - danvilles town limit is 25. 30 is pretty fast. Come into danville and it’s 25. SAnnette said that we will take this into consideration.
    8. Jeremy said that they removed a lot of the material on the road tjhat Steve referred to as Peacham Village “Pond”. It looked like years and years of winter sand - about 6-8 inches of sand. He think it drains to the basin now and we will keep an eye on it and see if it comes back.
      1. Annette asked David about the plan for that intersection. Going to be added to the 7/20 agenda.
    9. Executive Session for private and confidential personnel issues
      1. Annette moves to go into executive session for private and confidential personnel issues at 8:28PM. David seconds. So moved. All in favor.
      2. Annette moves to come out of executive session at 8:52PM. David seconds. So moved. All in favor.
      3. No action taken.
    10. Annette often thought we need to have a lending library of tools like snowblower and woodchipper.

  1. Review and approve bills
    1. The Selectboard reviewed and approved bills.

  1. Review correspondence
    1. The Selectboard reviewed and approved correspondence.

David moves to adjourn at 9pm. Annette seconds. So moved.