Follow by Email: add your email and click "submit." Your email remains confidential.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Selectboard Meeting 10/1/14 Agenda


TOWN OF PEACHAM
SELECTBOARD
MEETING AGENDA

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 6:30pm


  1. Call to order

  1. Review and approve minutes of July 16, 2014

  1. Additions to the Agenda

  1. County Road Box Culvert

  1. Auditors

  1. Road Crew Position

  1. Safe Routes to School and Traffic Calming Measures

  1. Road Foreman Update

  1. Executive Session to discuss communications from town attorney

  1. Review and approve bills

  1. Review correspondence

  1. Adjourn

Monday, September 22, 2014

Selectboard Meeting 9/17/14 Minutes

Minutes available at the Town Clerk's Office or at Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/SBMeeting9.17.14Minutes

INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOWNLOADING DOCUMENTS FROM ARCHIVE.ORG:
Follow the provided link.

There is a "View the Book" box on the left hand side of the page. Within that box, there is a "DOC" link. Click on the link to download the file.

If this does not work for you, you can always copy and paste the text from a blog post into a document. If you have any questions, please email Melissa at: melissa.laurita.kohl@gmail.com

Auditors Meeting 9/24/14 Agenda


TOWN OF PEACHAM
AUDITORS
MEETING AGENDA

Tuesday, September 24, 2014 10:00 AM

  1. Call to order

  1. Review and approve minutes

  1. Additions to the Agenda

  1. Discuss policies of towns similar to Peacham and compare these

  1. Adjourn

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Planning Commission Meeting 9/16/14 Minutes

Planning Commission Meeting Minutes
Town Office Meeting Room
September 16, 2014
Unapproved Minutes

Peacham Planning Comittee meeting called to order at 7:06PM.
Members present: Les Morrison, Marilyn Magnus, Jeff Lamphere, and Joanna Bodenweber.


Discussion centered around the status of The MPG that Allison has been assisting the Board with. Review of budgetary estimates was approved. Allison was consulted via phone conference, and it was moved to present the MPG to the select board at their September 17th meeting.


Nick Comerci has agreed to serve on the Peacham Planning Board, and a motion was made by Marilyn, seconded by Joanna to present his appointment to the select board.


Joanna has verbally submitted a resignation from the board as soon as a replacement can be found, or by years end at the latest.


Jeff has verbally submitted a resignation from the board, effective on the 7th of October.


Motion to adjourn was made by Jeff, seconded by Joanna. Meeting adjourned at 7:58PM.



Monday, September 15, 2014

Selectboard Meeting 9/17/14 Agenda


TOWN OF PEACHAM
SELECTBOARD
MEETING AGENDA

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 6:30pm


  1. Call to order

  1. Review and approve minutes of July 16, 2014

  1. Additions to the Agenda

  1. County Road Box Culvert

  1. Roller Barn

  1. Appoint New Lister

  1. Road Crew Position

  1. Transfer Station Position

  1. Safe Routes to School and Traffic Calming Measures

  1. Planning Commission / DRB Update

  1. Stop Sign on Peacham Groton Rd/ Peacham Barnet Road Corner

  1. Road Foreman Update

  1. Executive Session to discuss communications from town attorney

  1. Review and approve bills

  1. Review correspondence

  1. Adjourn

Friday, September 12, 2014

Schoolboard Meeting 9/8/14 Minutes

Minutes available at the Town Clerk's Office or at Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/20140908Unapproved

INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOWNLOADING DOCUMENTS FROM ARCHIVE.ORG:
Follow the provided link.

There is a "View the Book" box on the left hand side of the page. Within that box, there is a "DOC" link. Click on the link to download the file.

If this does not work for you, you can always copy and paste the text from a blog post into a document. If you have any questions, please email Melissa at: melissa.laurita.kohl@gmail.com


BARNET – DANVILLE – PEACHAM – WALDEN
Caledonia Central Supervisory Union
PO Box 216 - Danville, VT 05828 (802)684-3801x302 - Fax (802)684-1190
PEACHAM SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Monday September 8, 2014
Present
Board: Mark Clough, Wynne Browne
Administration: Mat Forest, Judy Ross
Staff: Cheryl Stevenson
Public: Rick Scholes, Kitty Toll, Cornelia Hasenfuss, Sean Markey, Nate Giroux, Cathy Browne, Holly Cannon, Mihai Tripp, Teri Nicoletta, Melody Morrison, Louis Bushey (Barnet)
 

Meeting called to order at 6:05 pm.
 

August minutes approved with no changes

Other Business
Legislative discussion with Kitty Toll, Peacham’s Representative in the Vermont House.
Last year’s governance bill did not pass, some of the governance bill is likely to be re-introduced in
the new session in January. Legislators hear many concerns about school taxes. Concerns do not
reflect large school/ small school or urban/rural community constituents. Kitty did not see gains in the consolidation bill introduced last session, the bill did not significantly reduce costs or increase educational opportunities. The data did not support savings nor increase in educational opportunities.
Special education issues. There has been little change in special education population, yet the number of special education staff has doubled. Money was appropriated in the budget to study this and to analyze what works, what are best practices. A consulting group from U Mass hired to do the analysis. Kitty talked to Shap Smith, Speaker of the House. They are both looking forward to the results of the analysis and hope it will provide data which the legislature can work from.
80% of budget is staffing. We don’t want to decimate schools by choosing easiest way to save – cut staff.

Small school grants issue. The legislature provides incentives to consolidate. The Small Schools Grant supports small schools. The two are inconsistent. Some representatives are uncomfortable with public moneys going to private entities, and uncomfortable with school choice and the budgeting to finance it. School finance is complicated, even those who work with it do not always understand it. Last year’s bill has something not to like for everyone. Bills that originate in House see many changes in the Senate.. Cooperation and compromise are necessary. In the past the House Education Committee worked on bills concerning education policy, the Ways and Means Committee worked on school finance. This year we hope to see committees like Education work on policy and financing.. It should be an improvement to have one committee consider the two aspects together. The Brigham decision mandated equal financing. Equitable quality of education and how to fairly fund the system ares the issues now.
Discussion:
What is important what are we willing to pay for,
Service delivery model restricted by fed and state funding requirements which make it difficult to change delivery methods.Mandates
Meaning of equitable opportunity
Please contact Kitty with thoughts about pendng legislation, likes and concerns about current system
PTF- Cornelia Hasenfuss introduced herself as the new PTF chair and announced the other new officers.
PTF hopes to keep an active open dialogue with all constituents of the school community. There are a variety of events planned. Fall Foliage event plans are already in progress, more information to come soon. Support is needed for this and all the activities. PTF funds support the ski and swim programs and more.
Rick Scholes gave a presentation on the new Open Meeting law.
Effective July 1 st .
Every committee of every municipality is required to comply with the law.
Agenda must be posted 48 hr prior to any meeting at 3 assigned local places. The School is one of those locations. Others are the Library or CafĂ© and the Town Clerk’s office. All town notices will be posted at the school.
Regular meeting agendas must be posted 48 hrs before the meeting, special meeting agendas must be posted 24 hours prior.
Meetings are public, no email conversations are permitted. Email discussions about setting meeting times, agendas and such must be posted as well.
Unapproved minutes must be posted within 5 days. Approved minutes posted immediately and should include posted date, as they must remain posted for 28 days.
Meeting for exec session must have an agenda and start as public meeting.
No absentee voting unless by telephone.
Telephone meeting is allowed as long as there is a place where the public can listen to the conversation.
Rick suggests using Melissa as clerk, Selectboard has hired her to take minutes and recommends her.
Special meeting requires a 24 hour notice to newspaper or other generally available media source.
Law effects how to a conduct meeting, additions or deletions to the agenda must be discussed first
Penalty $500 per occurrence, enforced by AG, there are provisions for individuals to file complaints
Pubic input: Mark asked parents to comment on beginning of school year. There was positive feedback including noting the Judy’s hard work. The signs are good, parent are looking forward to good results.
Mat commented that there are ambitious goals, and we must show results. He asked that all bring
concerns as soon as possible.
A request that school contact parents so they can be a part of any concern about both student and
general issues.
Superintendent’s Report
Curriculum work has started, the feedback from teachers is positive.
Superintendent and Admin Team have initiated monthly meetings with the Teachers Union Executive
Council to discuss issues as they arise and keep an open line of communication.
Technology director position is not to be filled immediately. Superintendent will work with Admin Team to assess needs and re-evaluate the role of Wild Branch. CCSU is moving forward with accounting software upgrade.Andrea Watson is taking on the Section 504 compliance in SU. Section 504 and IEP compliance requirements are different and 504 compliance has been inconsistent in the SU. School photos will be opened up for bids.
Irene Harvey, Special Ed provider, increase from .2 to .3 position due to increase student needs..
Approval of the change moved by Wynne, Mark agreed.
Payroll manifest change. Wynne moved that payroll manifest be brought monthly. Mark agreed.
Business Manager Report
Pat Amsden our new Business Manager has instituted some system and procedure changes around
contacts, payroll, 21c purchases. The district’s STAT reports are her first priority now.
Discussion of new business office software and its capabilities. It will provide more timely and accurate reporting and make the business office more efficient.
Curriculum Coordinator Report
Curriculum development work on Common Core aligned units is in process.
New math science coach is visiting schools to assist and to get to know teachers.
Discussion of the Star program for student progress monitoring which provides data on each student’s progress. This is a web based assessment system. Any flatline or decline in a student’s performance will trigger a reevaluation of instruction.
Special Service Coordinator Report
We have 120 students ages 3 to 22 who are active eligible students in the SU.
Work is continuing on the Multi-Tiered systems of Support. The goal is to reduce the number of referrals for special education in order to access and make progress in the general education curriculum.
A program of Assistive Technology is being considered for some students. We have a part time AT
consultant working with specific IEP teams as well as technical and professional assistance through UVM. The project is grant funded
Principal’s report
Follows SU goals this year
Judy raised a question about how to dispose of unneeded school equipment including some computer equipment and furniture. It was decided that it would be offered to staff first, then parents and then advertised locally. Funds received will go into the outdoor space project fund.
Circus Smirkus a will do a week long residency n the near future. Specifics are still being worked out.
Judy attended Selectboard meeting last week to discuss issues with road safety. Selectboard and
School will work with town & state to assess and make improvements. Issues are crosswalks, parking lot circulation, improved school zone signage. VTrans Safe Routes to School program should be helpful.
Discussion.
Old Business:
Facility upgrade. Excessive electricity costs from needed improvements to HVAC systems and other
infrastructure. Board is planning a special meeting to review the options with the community.
Marketing committee: Mark has recruited an ad hoc group to do brainstorming. He will report back after the meeting
New business: noneNext meeting Oct 13 th
Future agenda items: Hiring clerk for minutes and posting, FY14 financial report
Respectfully submitted,
Wynne Browne

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Job Opening: Peacham Road Crew


The Town of Peacham seeks a full time Road Crew member. Responsibilities include operating town trucks and heavy equipment safely and effectively, road grading, road repairs, plowing snow and sanding, hauling sand and fill, applying chloride, ditching, brush clearing, maintaining equipment and the garage, and responding to extreme weather road emergencies. CDL Required. Experience preferred, some training possible. Must be able to interact well with citizens and coworkers and follow instructions. Paid weekly; good health benefits.
 
Download an application at: https://archive.org/details/JobAppFormRoadCrew or email the Selectboard Clerk: melissa.laurita.kohl@gmail.com(802) 592-3218 (79 Church Street, Peacham, VT 05862). Submit an application ASAP or by Sept. 29, 2014.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Selectboard Meeting 9/3/14 Minutes

Minutes available at the Town Clerk's Office or at Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/SBMeeting9.3.14Minutes

INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOWNLOADING DOCUMENTS FROM ARCHIVE.ORG:
Follow the provided link.

There is a "View the Book" box on the left hand side of the page. Within that box, there is a "DOC" link. Click on the link to download the file.

If this does not work for you, you can always copy and paste the text from a blog post into a document. If you have any questions, please email Melissa at: melissa.laurita.kohl@gmail.com


PEACHAM TOWN
SELECTBOARD MEETING MINUTES
Town Hall Conference Room
Wednesday, September 3, 2014  6:30 P.M.
UNAPPROVED

The meeting was called to order by Chair of the Board Andy Cochran at 6:32 P.M.

Present:
Selectboard Members: Andy Cochran, Nate Giroux and Annette Lorraine
Clerk to the Board: Melissa Laurita Kohl
Others: Dick Blair, Neil Monteith, Jeremy Withers, Mike Bruton, Dick Hovey, Judith Markey, Nancy Bundgus, Jock Gill, Anna Rubin, Concerned Parent

Actions:
1. The Selectboard will check with Cindy in regards to transfer station numbers for Wednesdays in August.
2. Neil Monteith will talk with Town Clerk, Stan Fickes, and Jenny and John Mackenzie about tree removal on Governor Mattocks Road.
3. Melissa will find the contract for the Sheriff's office.
4. Nate will go with Dick Hovey to look at lumber for the roller barn floor.
5. Melissa will check with Stan to have a year to date budget to review for next meeting.
6. Annette will email Jeremy about school zone signs from the State.
7. The Selectboard will advertise for a Road Crew position in the Caledonia, Times Argus, and Hardwick Gazette. May also post it at the PNH Truck-stop in Wells River.

Minutes:
 1. Review and approve minutes
 a) Annette moves to approve the minutes of August 20, 2014. Andy seconds. So moved.
 b) Nate moves to approve the minutes of Emergency Meeting August 25, 2014. Andy seconds. So moved.

 2. Additions to the Agenda
 a) Peacham Elementary School concerns with traffic
 b) Executive Session
 c) Road Foreman Report

 3. Nancy Bundgus and Church Driveway
 a) The Church driveway is going to be regraded in next couple of weeks
 b) Nancy believes that maintenance for the Church driveway is a community issue because so many park there for community events.
 c) Nancy is also concerned about the grading difference between public roads and driveways as over times it creates roads that are higher than driveways.

 4. Jock Gill about transfer station hours and compression braking in Peacham
 a) Jock wants to commend Cindy and see if the Selectboard will do something in appreciation for the work she has done.
 b) He believes the transfer station should be open on Wednesdays throughout the summer season.
 c) He wants to commend the road crew as Bayley Hazen Road is in the best shape it has ever been.
 d) Jock wants to put up a sign about restricting J-breaking in Peacham on Peacham Danville Road.

 5. Neil Monteith with 3 estimates for tree on Governor Mattocks Road
 a) Neil's recommendation is to go with the lowest bid, which is by Chris Baldwin, from Peacham.
 b) Andy moves to take Neil Monteith's recommendation of Chris Baldwin for tree removal ASAP. Nate seconds. So moved.

 6. Peacham Elementary School concern with traffic
 a) There was an incident at the intersection of Bayley Hazen Road and South Main Street. Even with adult supervision, a student on a bicycle almost got hit by a car coming up the hill on South Main Street.
 b) South Main Street is a blind hill and people speed coming up it.
 c) Judy Markey, Principal, wants the Selectboard's support in promoting safe routes to school, which is a nationwide effort. Vermont Gov has a site about it.
 d) Safe Routes to School consists of the 5 E's
Educate the public
Encourage participation
Enforcement
Evaluating success of current program and future program
Engineer a safe route to school zone
 e) There may be grant money available
 f) Annette suggests that some education materials be available for the November elections as there is a good turn out. She or a concerned parent will also attend the mandatory Safe Routes to School Grant meeting in order for Peacham to qualify for a grant.
 g) Nate will be the Selectboard liaison with the school concerning this issue.
 h) Sheriff said Peacham did not renew its contract with the Sheriff's office.

 7. Magnus concern about East Peacham Road
 a) Nate applied for a grant to fix East Peacham Road but it was rejected. Shauna said that it would probably be 2 years before we receive the grant for it. The Selectboard needs to reapply next year and by the 3rd year it should establish enough need to receive the grant.
 b) For less than a mile of road it will cost between $250,000 and $400,000 to rip it up and do it right.
 c) Jeremy is planning to patch the potholes on East Peach Road but he has recently been very busy with the County Road Box Culvert.

 8. Transfer Station Position
 a) There is only one applicant, Tom Gallinant. He happened to come to Town Hall and so was interviewed for the position.

 9. Executive Session for legal and personnel matters
 a) Nate moves to go into Executive Session at 7:20pm.
 b) Nate moves to come out of Executive Session at 7:50pm. No action taken.

 10. Review and approve bills
 a) The Selectboard reviewed and approved bills.
 b) Annette motions to allow Andy Cochran to sign the Cargill Contract. Nate seconds. So moved.

 11. Review correspondence
 a) The Selectboard reviewed correspondence.

Annette moves to adjourn. Andy seconds. So moved.

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Planning Commission Meeting 9/2/14 Minutes


Peacham Planning Commission Meeting Minutes
Town Office Meeting Room
September 2, 2014

Peacham Planning Comittee meeting called to order at
7:01PM.

Members present, Les Morrison, Marilyn Magnus, and Jeff Lamphere, Joanna
Bodenweber. Allison Lowe from NVDA was also present.

Allison has been reviewing the current status of the updates to the bylaws,
as well as assessing the need for a municipal planning grant to support
this.

Allison noted there were minor inconsistencies related to statutes,
descriptions and tables.

After significant discussion, it was decided to apply for a small municipal
planning grant.

Motion to adjourn was made by Joanna, seconded by Jeff. Meeting adjourned at
8:31pm.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Selectboard Meeting 9/3/14 Agenda

TOWN OF PEACHAM Selectboard Meeting September 3, 2014 AGENDA 1. Approve minutes of August 20, 2014 2. Additions to agenda 3. Neil Monteith with 3 estimates for tree on Governor Mattocks Road 4. Jock Gill about transfer station hours and compression braking in Peacham 5. Nancy Bundgus and church driveway 6. Magnus concern about East Peacham Road 7. Transfer Station position 8. Review and approve bills 9. Review correspondence 10. Adjourn